The Surprise City Council-appointed Judicial Selection Advisory Commission will conduct open-to-the-public interviews with five Associate Judge candidates on Nov. 1 and 3.
The Commission is also seeking public comment on the candidates.
The selected candidates will be interviewed as scheduled:
7 p.m. - Charles Joseph Adornetto
7:45 p.m. - Nicole Teresa Farnum
6:30 p.m. - Catherine Anne Gaudreau
7:15 p.m. - Daniel Joseph Hernacki
8 p.m. - Anita Louise Simons
All interviews will be held in the Council Overflow Room at City Hall, 16000 N. Civic Center Plaza.
The Commission welcomes public comment at the meetings as part of the interview process. You may also email comments to email@example.com and they will be provided to the Commission for review.
Submit email comments by the close of business on Oct. 31. Comments should specifically name the candidate about whom you are commenting.
Surprise Municipal Court adjudicates criminal and civil violations occurring in Surprise, and provides orders of protection and other legal services to Surprise residents as part of the statewide court system.
Following the interview process the JSAC will recommend a list of three finalist candidates to the Presiding Judge for final interviews. The Presiding Judge will then recommend one candidate to city council for appointment. That process is likely to occur early to mid-November.
Candidate biographical information:
• Charles Joseph Adornetto has served as a Judge Pro Tem for the Maricopa County Justice Courts since 2003 and is the first county-wide Judicial Education Officer for a Justice Court. He served as Wickenburg Presiding Town Magistrate from 2011-2014 and also served as Chief Hearing Officer at the Department of Juvenile Corrections from 2004-2014. Judge Adornetto holds a Juris Doctor from Stanford Law School and a Bachelor of Science from Arizona State University.
• Nicole Teresa Farnum has served as a Judge Pro Tem for the Maricopa County Justice Courts since 2013 and is sole practitioner in the Law Office of Nicole Farnum. Prior to that, she worked in the Maricopa County Attorney’s Office from 1997-2000. Her entire legal career has been in public service. Judge Farnum holds a Juris Doctor and Bachelor of Arts, English from Arizona State University.
• Catherine Ann Gaudreau has served as an Assistant Prosecutor II with the City of Scottsdale since 2006 and was a Deputy District Attorney with the Milwaukee Country District Attorney’s Office from 1991 to 2002. She also has past experience as an Associate in California and Florida. She holds a Juris Doctor from the University of Miami School of Law and a Bachelor of Arts, Political Science from Florida International University.
• Daniel Joseph Hernacki has served as solo practitioner for the Hernacki Law Office since 2005. Previous work experience includes employment with the BHB Law Office and the Maricopa County Attorney’s Office. He holds a Juris Doctor from the University of California and Bachelor of Arts, Political Science from the University of Arizona.
• Anita Louise Simons currently serves as a Judge Pro Tempore for Maricopa County Superior Court, as well as an Administrative Law Judge for the Executive Hearing Office of the Arizona Department of Transportation since 2013. Prior to 2013, she served as a Prosecutor in the Pima County Attorney’s Office. Judge Simons holds a Juris Doctor from the James E. Rogers College of Law; and Bachelor of Arts in Political Science and Russian Language from the University of Arizona.
Diane Arthur is the Communications and Marketing Director for the city of Surprise