A gas leak at a construction site caused the evacuation of a Sun City West recreation center late this morning.
Work being conducted at the Fred R. Kuenrtz Recreation Center, 14401 R.H. Johnson Blvd., ruptured a gas line and emergency response crews from Surprise and Sun City West went to the scene about 11:30 a.m. They stood by as Southwest Gas workers capped the line, according to Julie Moore, Surprise Fire-Medical department spokeswoman.
“The fire departments had lines standing by while the line was clamped,” Ms. Moore explained. “Our hazmat team responds to all gas leaks.”
Ms. Moore said the line was capped and the scene determined to be safe again for occupation about 2 p.m.