Northwest Regional Library:
The Maricopa County Northwest Regional Library has announced June and July events at 16089 N. Bullard Ave., Surprise. The library will be closed July 4 in observance of Independence Day. For information or registration, call 602-652-3000, or visit www.mcldaz.org.
• Baby Storytime for Crawlers is at 9:15 a.m. Wednesdays. Baby storytime introduces your baby to language, music and movement. Lap bounces, fingerplays and the simplest of stories build a foundation for a lifelong love of books and reading. Thirty minutes of playtime and social time will follow the program. This storytime is limited to babies and their caregiver only.
• Baby Storytime for Walkers is at 10:15 a.m. Wednesdays. Moms, dads and grandparents are welcome to enjoy stories, songs, fingerplays and other activities while their babies grow and learn about the world. Thirty minutes of playtime and social time will follow the program. This storytime is limited to babies and their caregiver only. Tickets are required to attend this event and are limited to the first 15 babies. Tickets are available at the front desk at 10.
• Yoga for Kids is from 4 to 5 p.m. today. The class introduces children ages 6 and up to yoga stretches and poses, yoga games and fun dance.
• Arizona Rick The Magical Balloon Making Cowboy visits from 9:15 to 10:15 a.m. Thursday. He provides story telling using balloon animals. Children of all ages will enjoy watching him be eaten by a balloon.
• In the Cool of the Library is at 10 a.m. Tuesday. Join for stories and songs in the cool of the library. Children of all ages will enjoy this event. It is co-sponsored by the city of Surprise Community and Recreation Services.
• KnitTeen is from 4 to 5 p.m. Thursday. This knitting and crochet group is for both guys and girls and is open to beginners. Registration is required. Ages 12-18.
• Monday Match Chess Club is from 4:30 to 6 p.m. Meet in the corner of the children’s story area. For ages 9-18.
• Pins & Needles is from 1 to 3 p.m. Thursday. Stop by and knit, crochet or loom with us. Do you know someone who no longer does yarn crafts or is looking to downsize thier stash of yarn, knitting needles or crochet hooks? The group will repurpose all your left overs for one or more of its charities. Registration is not needed.
• Mystery Roundtable has its monthly meeting from 6 to 7:30 p.m. Thursday. This book discussion group for mystery lovers is reading “Careless in Red” by Elizabeth George.
• Kindle Class is from 10 to 11:30 a.m. Monday. Learn how to download library books to your Kindle. Basic instruction for both wireless and USB transfer of books from the library. There will be a short presentation, and time for questions afterward.
• One-on-One is from 9:30 to 10:30 a.m. Tuesday. One hour spent with a reference librarian for computer instruction, Internet research, email instruction or help finding that elusive bit of information. Attendee must give 24 hour cancellation notice to allow others on the waiting list to attend.
• Tech Table is from 5 to 7 p.m. Tuesday. Visit the library’s Tech Table and get help with your ereaders. Feel free to bring your USB cords, devices, and laptop with you especially if you are having problems with a Nook.
• You should be familiar with how your device operates.
• Assistance is limited to issues with downloading library ebooks.
• Time will be limited with each customer (approximately 10 to 15 minutes).
• You may need to bring your laptop + USB cables if you are having problems with your Nook.
El Mirage Branch:
The Maricopa County El Mirage Branch Library has announced June and July events at 14011 N. 1st Ave., El Mirage. The library will be closed July 4 in observance of Independence Day. For information or registration, call 602-652-3000, or visit www.mcldaz.org.
• Arizona Storytime is at 10 a.m. Monday. Fun stories and silly songs for summer. For ages 1-5 and their caregivers.
• Family Movie starts at 1 p.m. Thursday. Take a break with a family movie. Kids may sign up for the summer reading program.
The Maricopa County Hollyhock Branch Library has announced June and July events at 15844 N. Hollyhock St., Surprise. The library will be closed July 4 in observance of Independence Day. For information or registration, call 602-652-3000, or visit www.mcldaz.org.
• Beginning Spanish For Children is from 1 to 1:45 p.m. Thursday. Basic vocabulary conversational skills.
• Explore A Country: Thailand, Malaysia & Laos — Movie Event is at 2 p.m. Tuesday. Each month, Hollyhock Library invites you to explore a different country. July’s movie focuses Thailand, Malaysia and Laos. The south east asian countries of Thailand and Malaysia have long been major destinations on the backpacking route. Laos however remains the forgotten jewel of the southeast, it is dreamily remote and unspoilt by tourism.
• Phoenix Children’s Developmental Playgroups are from 10:15 to 11 a.m. Friday for parents and caregivers of children ages birth to 2, and from 1:15 to 2 p.m. for ages 3 to 5. These groups promote appropriate developmental skills, socialization and self-expression in a safe, comfortable environment. Toys and activities are used to encourage the expression of emotions, a sense of control and success while in the community setting.
• Evening Storytime is from 7 to 7:30 p.m. Tuesday. Children of all ages (with parent or caregiver) are welcome to this romp through books and rhymes. Wear PJs and bring a favorite stuffed friend.